In the High Peaks
















Friday, June 13, 2014

Thankful for Summer House with Swimming Pool (ARC)

Thank you to Random House (Hogarth imprint) for sending me the Dutch author Herman Koch's blockbluster Summer House with Swimming Pool, which was released the first week of June in the U.S.

I have 35 pages to go with Casebook by Mona Simpson, and it is at this point at the end of good novels that I often find myself delving in to a new book, to help me tolerate the withdrawal symptoms which occur when I complete my previous read.

So all I can say is, "Oh no!" I have work I must complete for my class this weekend. Lots. I have read 30 pages of Summer House, and I am desperately intrigued so far, so much so that all weekend I'll have the novel nagging at me while I'm working and grading and commenting on student essays! Arrrgh!

The chiropractor says that it would be best if I didn't spend longer than 30 minutes reading at one time. (What a Readathon pooper!) Chiropractor's comment on condition of neck: "How did you drive yourself, how did you teach a 4-hour class, etc.? My meek answer, "I try my best to put the pain in a box." Really, what else can a teacher do in these circumstances when you simply have to work or else?

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Summer House... hopefully another month on the library waiting list will do it. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I am enjoying it!
      And I am feeling a bit better, especially when the adrenaline starts flowing as it does on Sunday evening as I'm rushing to get everything nailed down for Monday's class.
      Thanks!
      J.

      Delete